Sunday, February 7, 2010

Memories.....

It was last week i think, i had to accompany my mum to buy some stuff at the Pudu Wet Market.
After walking half way, she asked me to stay put at one area as the inner part of the market is very wet and stinky...

She didn't want me to get 'contaminated' i think =P

Anyway....

While i was staying put nearby a stall selling korean instant noodles..
(With a Weird colour and packing i'd say),
A stall caught my attention as it brought back memories to me..

Nowadays when we need raw chicken, we'd go to the supermarket or the market nearby our housing area and they have all those ready packed, peeled, feathered, and even seasoned raw chicken for you, all you have to do is dump it in a hot pot and done.


Whereas, the stall that caught my attention was selling live chicken, that are still
squawking for their lives.

I remembered this sight used to be common in my early days where housewives would bring their kids to the market and do their daily shopping. Well, that what my mum did last time,
especially when we're in our hometown.


I would always stop by at the chicken stall and look how each chicken react when i slip my fingers into the cage.. Injuries were definite to my fingers but it was fun. =P


My late grandfather & grandmother did also rared chicken at the back of his wooden coffee shop. Everytime when we visit him, after having a heartfill meal, we'd have a treat of either ice-cream, or soft drinks. By the way, soft drinks back then are in glass bottles and contains less sugar and less gas..

After relaxing for a bit, my grandma would bring my to the back and i would watch her feed the chickens with grains and leftover foods. If I'm lucky, I would get to see black chickens instead of the normal ones.



Before Chinese New Year every year, my grandma would fatten up the chicken of her choice, and cook it for us to celebrate our safe arrival... The food on the table then, It was much more savouring then the ones we eat in Chinese Restaurants i tell you. The meals back then are still the best!

As I thought back to the early days, i told myself that this sights are rare nowadays, especially in a developing city like KL. Its good to actually that some people still keep the tradition, so maybe some day the younger generations would know how a real market looks and sounds like during the old days.

So far i know, I still prefer the old days where everything was so peaceful and full of squawk..
hahah.

No comments: