Thursday, March 4, 2010

CNY 2010 ~~~~~

Chinese New Year this year and last year had been a really quite one. Since all my grandparents are in a better place, we seldom go back to our hometown which is in Kota Bahru, or to be more exact, Temangan... Which is waaaaaay deep in Kelantan.
Frankly speaking, being the daughter of a Kelantanese and being a Hainan myself, not being able to communicate and dialogue in these two languages is not something to be proud of. Yes, I admit it, I don't and can't understand a single word of Bahasa Kelantan and Hainan. Well, I can make out some if it but to communicate in it, it would be like playing the piano for someone who doesn't really appreciate it.
That is why, I'm still a banana when it comes to these two languages. I haven't even mastered my mandarin yet!!! Ask anyone of my classmates, they would tell you "Maxine's chinese ar?? Very cha wan!!! Sometimes speak out of tune somemore.... very funny wan!!!"........ I can bet everyone of em' would tell you the exact same thing!
Alright, back to CNY. We went back to Penang, as both of cousins 'migrated' there to pursue their studies. After the half day work my working company offered all chinese staffs, dad picked me up from work and we zoomed to the highway and head to penang to avoid major traffic.
I slept all the way... so I had no idea what happened on the way there.. Except we stopped by Dunkin Donut for lunch and the Penang bridge was freakin' jam when we reached. (Alright, after the lunch break in Dunkin donut, I swear I would never buy/touch/bite/eat/taste/eat a donut from dunkin donut... Is just to traumatising)
When we finally reached Penang after an exausted 5 hour drive/journey, we were all starving and my tummy was crying.... So we headed to this famous local food court. Well not technically a food court but is combine with a few houses to form one so.....
It serves basically penang's famous food like Prawn mee, ice-kacang, oyster egg, fried tofu and yada yada yada.... We had a feast that night, came home burping like no one's business.. Had steamboat too later that night as our reunion dinner. I don't know whether there is a tradition with steamboat cause it seems most people have steamboat as their reunion dinner... Or is it because is less troublesome???
The next day was the First day of CNY. Had a scrumptious breakfast my aunt prepared (you gotta love her Mee siam, the best!!). After wishing the elders, we head to Queensbay mall for a walk.
Butter cookies have always been a tradition in my family. Its a must to have it on the dining table every first day of CNY.
ANGPAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was actually Bro's idea to go, he wanted to shop for some 'accesories' =.='
Guys with accesories... Seriously, he has more hair/skin/body care products then me. You don't see me going round the house squirming for a blackhead sticker.....
Eventually...... the whole mall was freakin E-M-P-T-Y. "Wow, no one for the first time.... cool" That went through my head and I was quite happy cause there was no one to bump into. We were walking round and round like a luna until the 'master' voiced that he was hungry...
SEE!!!!! The whole path was practically empty ~ ~ ~
Even the shops were closed.. Come to think of it, who opens during CNY? No one!

Well, at least the deco were fab. Do ignore the couple =P
We ended up in Kenny rogers tasting their new product... and seriously.....
IT WAS HORRIBLE...
(tasted like laksa then pasta)
Tangy is not tangy at all!!
The japanese Yee Sang I was preparing with my cousin. Worth the price!
Camwhore at the mean time!!
The main side dish.... SALMON!!!!!

Dinner on the First day of CNY. Ya, we forgot to purchase Yee Sang for breakfast so we did it during dinner time. =P

Ok, I was bored...... No harm right?

Fireworks!!!! Don't ask who is that, just aware that I'm the one snapping the pics!! ^^
We spent 3 days in Penang, and we head back to KL on the second day.



Was hungry so I bought some steamed peanuts to munch!!
I also did some house visiting on my own back in KL. With some friends of course..
We had fun visiting and dancing.... Best time of my life!!
Wan Ting being all pinkish for CNY....
Ok, I suggested something goofy and we came up with this....
S-A-D.
Cheerio!!

No comments: